Home ~ Our Ancestors ~ Contact us
[F7564]. Nathaniel WEARE.
Born about 1600/1602 in England; son of Peter WEARE.
His name, variously spelled, but always pronounced as if “Wire.”
He married Sarah in England, probably about 1628.
He came to New England in 1637 with his brother Peter. He settled in Newbury, Massachusetts.
His name appears on the Newbury records from 1638 to 1659, when he migrated to Nantucket.
He died 1 Mar 1680 (1681-S2) in Nantucket, Nantucket, Massachusetts and was buried 1 Mar 1680.
Born about 1606. Sarah married Nathaniel Weare in 1628 in England. She died 1682 in Nantucket, Nantucket, Massachusetts.
CHILDREN of Nathaniel WEARE and Sarah:
- Esther (Hester) WEARE. Born in 1629 in England. She married Captain Benjamin SWETT of Newbury on 1 November 1647. They lived seven years in Newbury, on the Woodbridge farm, just east of the upper green and about where the Woodbridge School now stands. Captain Swett had been a lessee with his brother-in-law Weare of the Newbury farm of “the Honorable John Woodbridge, for seven years, from 1655,” as Weare afterwards testified. They moved to Hampton Falls, Rockingham County New Hampshire. CPT Swett was Captain in the militia and commanded the expedition to Black Point, Scarborough, where he was killed in battle with the Indians, 29 June 1677. She married (2) Ensign Stephen Greenleaf of Newbury on 31 March 1679; of the same family from whom the poet Whittier was descended. The Gove House, where the poet Whittier died, stands very near the site of Capt. Benjamin Swett's house, and the enormous elm tree close by is said to have been brought from England by Swett's brother-in-law, Nathaniel Weare. She died in Hampton, New Hampshire on 16 January 1718, aged 89. She had seven children recorded in Newbury and four in Hampton.
- Nathaniel WEARE. Born in 1631 in England. He married Elizabeth SWAINE on (1-S?)(3-S6) December 1656 at Newbury, Massachusetts. He died on 13 May 1718 at Hampton, Rockingham County, New Hampshire.
- John WEARE. Born 1633 in of Hampton, Rockingham, New Hampshire. He died 1633.
- John WEARE. Born about 1634 in of, Nantucket, Nantucket, Massachusetts. He died 12 Oct 1653 in Newberry, Rockingham County, New Hampshire.
- Mary WEARE. Married John SWAYNE in NOV 1660.
- Mehitabel WEARE. Born about 1638 in of Hampton, Rockingham County, New Hampshire.
- [S1]. http://www.eoni.com/~paf/pilling/pilg219.htm#3361.
- [S2]. The Nathaniel Weares. By F. B. Sanborn of Concord, Mass. Reprinted from The Granite Monthly, 1909, pp.157-166. http://www.hampton.lib.nh.us/hampton/biog/nathanielweares.htm
- [S3]. Genealogical and Family History of the State of New Hampshire: A ... by Ezra Scollay Stearns, William Frederick Whitcher, Edward Everett Parker, Lewis Publishing Company, Lewis publishing company, Chicago - 1908 - New Hampshire. http://books.google.com/.