HOME ~ Contact us
Born about 1638 or 1639 at Cambridge, Massachusetts; son of Anthony COLBY and Susanna (HADDON?).
He married before 1668 to Elizabeth SARGENT [F7839]. He was a "planter" and innholder at Amesbury. He received land in Amesbury in 1659 and 1662. He settled at Haverhill between 1664 and 1667. He lived in Haverhill until at least 1674, but he had returned to Amesbury by 1676.
He was a soldier in King Philip's War in the Falls Fight under Captain William Turner on 8 MAY 1676. "Among the few affidavits that were made to sustain claims for land near Turner's Falls, found in the Massachusetts M.S. Archives, is one from John Chase, in which he states that he and Samuel Colby were in the fight and helped to bury Captain Turner." In 1689 he served as a Representative from Amesbury.
He died about JUN 1716, since his will was written 6 MAR 1715-6 and it was proved 2 JUL 1716 at Amesbury, Essex County, Massachusetts.
Born 22 NOV 1648 at Salisbury, Essex County, Massachusetts; dau. of William SARGENT  and Elizabeth or Judith PERKINS . She married before 1668 to Samuel COLBY. She died 5 FEB 1737 at Amesbury, Essex County, Massachusetts.
CHILDREN of Samuel COLBY  and Elizabeth SARGENT :
- . Dorothy COLBYHUSBAND and WIFE.
- Elizabeth COLBY. Born 1 JUN 1670. She was not in the will in 1716.
- Samuel COLBY, Jr. Born 9 MAR 1671 at Amesbury, Essex County, Massachusetts.
- (Daughter) COLBY. Born 3 APR 1672 at Haverhill, Essex County, Massachusetts.
- Philip COLBY.
- [S1]. The Colby Family in Early America. by Frederick Lewis Weis. 1970. Concord, Massachusetts.
- [S2]. A History of Deerfield, Massachusetts. by George Sheldon, Vol. 1:159.
- [S3]. Society of Colonial Wars, Index of Ancestors. 1922. p. 113.