HOME ~ Contact us
CENRED. [CHART A1].
Son of COELWALD. (Ceowald).
Cenred of Wessex was a member of the House of Wessex and a member of the direct male line from Cynric to Egbert. It is possible that Cenred ruled alongside his son Ine for a period. There is weak evidence for joint kingships, and stronger evidence of subkings reigning under a dominant ruler in Wessex, not long before his time. Ine acknowledges his father's help in his code of laws, and there is also a surviving land-grant that indicates Cenred was still reigning in Wessex after Ine's accession. (S2).
His father was Ceolwald of Wessex. Cenred had at least three other children: Ingild, the great-grandfather of Ealhmund of Kent, and the great-great grandfather of Egbert; Cuthburh, who married Aldfrith of Northumbria, and became abbess of Wimborne; and Cwenburh, who may have succeeded her sister as abbess at Wimborne. (S2).
CHILDREN of Cenred:
- Cuenburg (Cwenburh). Of Wimborne. She may have succeeded her sister as abbess at Wimborne.
- Cuthburg. (Cuthburh). She married Aldfrid (Aldfrith), King of Northumbria. She became abbess of Wimborne.
- Ine. King of Wessex from 688 to 726. Married Aethelburg (Ethelburh). In 726 he resigned his throne and went on pilgrimage to Rome, there to end his days. There is a legend telling that his wife induced him to give up his crown. He so impressed the Romans that they regarded him as a saint. He died in 728 at Rome.
- INGILD. [CHART A1]. He died in 718 A.D.
- [S1]. The official website of Alynia H. Rule. http://www.ancuairt.org/genealogy/cerdic.htm.
- [S2]. Cenred of Wessex. Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cenred_of_Wessex.
HOW ARE WE RELATED:
Eafa. He married a princess of Kent.
EAHLMUND, of Kent. (?-786AD), md dau of AETHELBERT II.
EGBERT. King of Wessex. He married Redburg.
ETHELWULF md (2) Judith, dau of Charles the Bald.
ALFRED, The Great, K. of England, md Ealswith.
EDWARD The Elder. King of England.
Edmund I. (922-946). He married Elgiva.
Edgar I, The Peaceable.
Ethelred II, The Unready. (c968-1016) md Elfreda.
Edward Athling, the Exile.
Margarethe md Malcolm III Caenmore of Scotland.
Edith. She married HENRY I, King of England.
Matilda. (Maud) md (1) Henry V of Germany.
HENRY II, King of England, md Ida.
William I Longspee md Ela Fitzpatrick.
William II Longspee md Idonie de Camville.
Ela Longspee md James de Audley.
Hugh de Audley md Isolde de Mortimer.
Hugh de Audley md Margaret de Clare.
Margaret de Audley. md Ralph de Stafford.
Hugh Stafford. md Philippa de Beauchamp.
Edmund Stafford. md Anne of Gloucester.
Humphrey Stafford. md Anne Neville.
Margaret Stafford md Robert Dunham.
John Dunham md Elizabeth Bowett.
John Dunham II md Jean Thorland.
John Dunham III md Benedict Folgamsee.
Ralph Dunham. He married Elizabeth Wentworth.
Thomas Dunham. He married Jane Bromley.
John Dunham Sr.. He married Susanna Kenney/Keno.
John Dunham Jr.. He married Mary.
Mary Dunham. She married James Hamblin.
Elkenah Hamblin. He married Abigail Hamblin.
Sylvanus Hamblin. He married Dorcas Fish.
Barnabus Hamblin. He married Mary Bassett.
Isaiah Hamblin. He married Daphne Haynes.
Jacob Vernon Hamblin md Sarah Priscilla Leavitt.
Ella Ann Hamblin md Warren Moroni Tenney.
Clive Vernon Tenney md Minnie Williams
Mildred Ella Tenney = Glenn Russell Handy
Deborah Lee Handy and Rodney Allen Morris