HOME ~ Contact us
William Barnes and Rachel Fitts Lord
William BARNES. [PC W2-2].
Born (about 1610-S30)(about 1613-S23,S28,S31)(in 1613-S26)(1610-1615-S21)(about 1620-S1,S33) in England. He is said by some (S21) to be the son of Thomas Barnes and Mary Andrews who settled in Connecticut, but I see no connection between the two families.
He emmigrated to New England in 1635.(S20,S28). He arrived in the Globe. (S28).
He married Rachel FITTS (LORD) [F15631] (about 1627)(1637-S30,S31)(in 1641-S28)(1642)(before 1643-S1)(in 1643-S23,S26) in (Salisbury-S23,S26), Essex County, Massachusetts.
He was a house-carpenter.(S26,S27,S28).
His son William is said to have been born in Salisbury in 1638, but that there is no birth record for him in Salisbury. That is because the town was not founded yet. On September 6, 1638, Secretary of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, Simon Bradstreet, received an agreement from Governor Winthrop and the General Court giving him and eleven other men the right to begin a plantation north of the Merrimack River. This land grant included the towns of Amesbury and Merrimack, Massachusetts as well as the New Hampshire towns of Seabrook, South Hampton, Newton, Hampstead, Plaistow and Kingston. Salisbury, bordered by the Merrimack River and the Atlantic Ocean, originally named Colchester, was incorporated as Salisbury in 1640.
He received land in Salisbury in the "first division" 1640 and 1641. (S20).
In 1640-1641 he received the "Rocky Island" in the meadows.(S20).
He was one of the first settlers in Salisbury, Massachusetts. He received land there in the "first division" in 1640 and 1643.(S30).
He took the oath of freeman in 1641.(S28).
With his wife, he was at court on December 15, 1642 for holding the view that the baptism of infants was not an ordinance of God.(S30).
He removed to the west side of Powow and settled in what later became Amesbury. (S20,S27).
He and his family moved to Amesbury, Massachusetts, about 1650.(S30).
He was on the list of original settlers of Salisbury, Essex County, Massachusetts. William was #29 on a list of 68 men who were "The first or Original list of ye townsmen of Salisbury in ye booke of Records" as recorded by Thomas Bradbury at a town meeting of 3 FEB 1650. At the same meeting virtually the same list (minus three men who were crossed out) were allowed to "be accompted townsmen and comoners" of the new town.(S1).
On 25 December 1650, "Willi: Barnes" was assessed 12d. 6s. in taxes in Salisbury, Essex County, Massachusetts. He was not on the list for the 18 JUL 1652 tax assessment.(S1).
[Some sources (S21,S28) give a different wife, Louisa Mellor. Born 9 Feb 1615 in St. Gregory, Sudbury, Essex, England. They were said to have been married 23 Jun 1630 in Salisbury/Amesbury, Essex, MA, USA. She died 9 Feb 1686 Since Rachel was alive after 1686, they could not both have been wives of the same William Barnes. He is also said by (S21) to have married a third wife (unnamed) about 1639, who was born about 1615, and who was of East Winch (Winchester?), Norfolk, England . Quite a trick if all three wives lived to a ripe old age.].
He signed a will on 7 Apr 1696.(S28,S30).
He died (after 1692-S1)(14 Mar 1697-S21,S26,S27,S28)(before 28 SEP 1698-S29) in (Salisbury-S21,S23,S26)(Amesbury-S27,S28,S29), Essex County, Massachusetts. He was buried in Salisbury, Essex County, Massachusetts. (S21)
Rachel FITTS (LORD). [PC W2-2].
Born (1607-S21)(about 1610-S34)(1617-S23,S28,S31)(1625-S1) in Essex, England.(S21).
She is sometimes said to be the daughter of Anthony LORD and Katherine THOMPSON.(S21,S34), or Robert FITTS and Grace, widow LORD, or of Grace and her previous husband (unknown) LORD. The most likely is that she is the sister of Robert FITTS, who called her husband William Barnes "my brother" -- not "my son" -- in his will.(S1). So it appears a key to her identity is to find out more about Robert FITTS and his family.
She married William BARNES [F15630] (about 1627)(1637-S29,S31)(about 1638-S30)(in 1641-S28)(1642)(before 1643-S1)(in 1643-S23,S26) in (Salisbury-S23,S26), Essex County, Massachusetts.
She died (9 Feb 1685-1686-S23,S28,S29,S33)(FEB 1685-1686-S27)(1696-S21) at (Amesbury-S27,S28)(Salisbury-S23,S29), Essex County, Massachusetts. (S20).
CHILDREN of William BARNES [F15630] and Rachel FITTS (LORD) [F15631]:
- William BARNES.(S1,S23,S26,S27,S28) Born (in 1638-S21) at Salisbury, Essex County, Massachusetts. There is not birth record for him in Salisbury.(S1). He died on 11 JUN 1648 in Salisbury, Essex County, Massachusetts.
- [F7837]. Mary BARNES.(S23,S26,S27,S28). Born 25 JAN (1639)(1642-1643-S23)(1643-S26) at Salisbury, Essex County, Massachusetts She married John HOYT Jr., son of Sergeant John HOYT and Frances on 23 JUN 1659 at Salisbury, Essex County, Massachusetts. Said to have died Aug. 13, 1696 at Amesbury, Essex County, Massachusetts, but also said to be living in 1704.(S26).
- Hannah BARNES.(S1,S23,S26,S27,S28). Born 25 JAN (1643-S1,S26,S30)(1643-1644-S23,S27) in Salisbury, Essex County, Massachusetts. She married John PROWSE(PROUSE-S26) on 2 OCT 1665(1666-S26) at Salisbury, Essex County, Massachusetts. She died 27 MAY 1688 at (Salisbury)(Amesbury-S27), Essex County, Massachusetts.
- Deborah (Debora) BARNES.(S1,S23,S26,S27,S28). Born 1 APR 1646 in Salisbury, Essex County, Massachusetts. She married Samuel DAVIS on (17-S26)(19 DEC 1663) in (Salisbury)(Haverhill-S26), Essex County, Massachusetts. She died 14 JAN (1718-1719-S27)(1719-S26) at Haverhill, Essex County, Massachusetts.
- Jonathan BARNES.(S1,S23,S26,S27,S28). Jonathan was born on 1 APR 1648 in Salisbury, Essex County, Massachusetts. He died young.(S30).
- Rachel BARNES.(S1,S23,S26,S27,S28). Born on (30 APR-S1,S23,S26,S27)(3 FEB)(1648)(1649-S1,S23,S26,S27) in Salisbury, Essex County, Massachusetts. She married Thomas SARGENT, son of William SARGENT & Elizabeth PERKINS, on 2 MAR 1667-1668 in (Amesbury-S1,S26, but it was recorded in Salisbury-S1)(Salisbury-S27), Essex County, Massachusetts.. The Salisbury, Essex County, Massachusetts marriage record reads 2d:1m(March):1667/8. She died (after 1692-S1)(1717-S26)(7 FEB 1718-1719) at (Amesbury-S26)(Salisbury), Essex County, Massachusetts.
- [F7815]. Sarah BARNES.(S23,S26,S27,S28). [PC W2-2]. Born (7 APR-S27)(1650-S23)(1651-S26,S27) at (Salisbury)(AMESBURY-S27), Essex County, Massachusetts. She married (1) Thomas ROWELL [F7814] on 8 SEP 1670 at (Amesbury)(Salisbury-S26,S27), Essex County, Massachusetts. She married (2) John Harvey (in 1685)(about 1685-S26)(1685-1686-S27) at (Amesbury-S26), Essex County, Massachusetts. She died 17 APR 1720 in (Amesbury)(Salisbury-S26,S27), Essex County, Massachusetts.
- Rebecca BARNES.(S27,S28). Born (in 1654)(after 1655-S25) in (Salisbury-S27)(Amesbury-S24), Essex County, Massachusetts. She married Moses MORRILL in 1676 at Salisbury, Essex County, Massachusetts. She died 3 APR 1727 at (Salilsbury-S23)(Amesbury-S24), Essex County, Massachusetts. She is buried in the American Union Cemetery.(S32).
- [S1]. http://xenia.media.mit.edu/~kristin/fambly/Fitts/RachelFitts.html and http://xenia.media.mit.edu/~kristin/fambly/Barnes/WilliamBarnes.html
- [S2]. New England Historic and Genealogical Register. Vols. 1+, (Boston: New England Historic and Genealogical Register, 1845+), [NEHGR], 3:55-7; 10:184.
- [S3]. Torrey, Charles, New England Marriages Prior to 1700., (Boston: New England Historic and Genealogical Society).
- [S4]. Hoyt, Daniel Webster, The Old Families of Salisbury and Amesbury, Mass., with Some Related Families of Newbury, Haverhill, Ipswich, and Hampton, and of York County, Maine, 3 vols., (Providence: [Snow & Farnham], 1897-1917), [Salisbury Fam], 157,875.
- [S5]. The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record, vols. 1+, (New York: New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 1870+), [NYGBR], 37:141.
- [S6]. Savage, James A., A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England, 1860-1862., (Boston 1860-1862; rpt Baltimore 1955), [Savage], 1:123
- [S7]. The Essex Antiquarian, (13 vols.)(n.p., 1897-1909), [EssexAnt], 4:13; 7:40.
- [S8]. Pillsbury, D.B. & F.H. Getche, The Pillsbury Family: Being a History of William and Dorothy Pillsbury (or Pilsbery) of Newbury in New England, and Their Descendants to the Eleventh Generation, (Everett, Mass.: Massachusetts Publ. Co., 1890), [Pillsbury], 122,161-162,581,633,676.
- [S9]. Treat, John Harvey, The Treat Family: a Genealogy of Trott, Tratt, and Treat for Fifteen Generations, and Four Hundred and Fifty Years in England and America, Containing More than Fifteen Hundred Families in America, (Salem, Mass.: The Salem Press, 1893), [Treat], 12.
- [S10]. Clement, Percival Wood, Ancestors and Descendants of Robert Clements, ([Philadelphia: Patterson & White Co., 1927]), [Clement], 46,80.
- [S11]. Fitts, James Hill, Genealogy of the Fitts or Fitz Family in America, (Clinton: W. J. Coulter, 1869), [Fitts], 1.
- [S12]. Salisbury, Essex co., MA Vital Records, [SalisburyVR], 19, 57, 272.
- [S13]. Pope, Charles Henry, The Pioneers of Maine and New Hampshire, 1623 to 1660, (Boston: C.H. Pope, 1908), [PopesPioneersofMEandNH], 34.
- [S14]. Sargent, Edwin Everett, Sargent Record. William Sargent, of Ipswich, Newbury, Hampton, Salisbury and Amesbury, New England, U.S., with his Descendants and Their Intermarriages, and other Sargent Branches, (St. Johnsbury, Vt.: The Caledonian Co., 1899), [Sargent (#1)], 21.
- [S15]. Essex Institute Historical Collections, vol. 1+, (Salem, Mass., 1859+), [EIHC], 79:258.
- [S16]. Amesbury Vital Records, [AmesburyVR], 475.
- [S17]. Anderson, Robert Charles, The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England 1620-1633., (Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society), [GreatMig.], III:1632.
- [S18]. Records and Files of the Quarterly Courts of Essex County, Massachusetts, 1636-1686, 9 volumes, (Salem 1911-1975), [EQC], 4:64.
- [S19]. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~whithar/PS02/PS02_118.HTM
- [S20]. http://home.att.net/~kd6lvw-2/Dow/f3982.html and http://home.att.net/~kd6lvw-2/Dow/f3981.html
- [S21]. http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/9004/Barnes.html
- [S22]. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~cbbagby/pafg232.htm.
- [S23]. http://www.morrillonline.com/html/MorrillMoses-1655-1731-BarnesRebecca.html quotes Vital Records of Amesbury, MA (Topsfield, MA: Topsfield Historical Society, 1913) : 568.
- [S24]. http://www.onlinelynn.com/gp195.html
- [S25]. http://members.tripod.com/~rturnblo/d0001/g0000066.html.
- [S26]. http://www.cyberancestors.com/cummins/g412.html. Quotes from "Old Families of Salisbury and Amesbury, page 54.
- [S27]. http://www.familyworkings.com/gedcoms/stewart/dat9.htm
- [S28]. http://www.one-barton-family.us/genealogy/viva/d4556.html
- [S29]. http://www.jex.org/avis3/b1366.htm. Quotes Darleen Purcell. Website of Infomration located at http://www.primenetcom/~darleen/gedcom . Darleen Purcell.
- [S30]. http://us.share.geocities.com/Heartland/Cliffs/6930/b10.htm. Quotes from Charles Henry Pope, "THE PIONEERS OF MASSACHUSETTS: A Descriptive List, Drawn from Records of the Colonies, Towns and Churches, and other Contemporaneous Documents" (Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co. Inc., Originally published 1900, Reprinted 1991), p. 34.. Also quotes from Research of Aaron Hadley Hunter whose sources include: "ANCESTRY OF CHARLES STINSON PILLSBURY AND JOHN SARGENT PILLSBURY," compiled by Mary Lovering Holman, 1938. (This reference book is considered to be a very good one and points out some errors in the somewhat less reliable: "Sargent Record- William Sargent of Ipswich, Newbury, Hampton, Salisbury and Amesbury, New England, U.S., with His Descendants and Their Intermarriages, and Other Sargent Branches," compiled by Edwin Everett Sargent.), p. 161.
- [S31]. http://www.amtelecom.net/~bjohnson/PortBruce/Genealogy/ahnentafels/tucker/pafg08.htm#23447
- [S32]. http://ng-tek.com/genweb/grweb/wc01/wc01_417.htm and http://ng-tek.com/genweb/grweb/wc01/wc01_434.htm
- [S33]. http://www.theroyfamily.com/gen/roy/p18.htm#i895. Quotes from Brown, Asa W.. "Early Settlers of Salisbury, Mass., Arranged into Families", The New England Historical and Genealogical Register volume VII (1853).
- [S34]. http://www.verinet.com/~boz/fam00952.htm. Quotes as sources: 1) History of Athol, Massachusetts. 2) Goold, Harrington Data base, Compiler Address: 4532 Briercrest. 3) Vital Records of Salisbury Massachusetts to the End of the Year (cut off).
- [S35]. Paine, Ruth Felton (Ward), Paine Genealogy and Allied Lines: ancestors of William Alfred Paine, (Rutland, Vt.: The Tuttle Pub. Co. Inc., 1936), [Paine Anc. (1936)], 37,40.