HOME ~ Contact us
Robert Arden and Mary Webb
Born in 1506 at Wilmcote, Ashton Cantlowe Parish, Warwickshire, England; son of Thomas Arden.
Robert Arden married (1) Mary Webb, daughter of John Alexander Webb, in 1526 in Wilmcote, Ashton Cantlowe Parish, Warwickshire, England.
He was a yoeman in the service to King Henry VII of England.
Robert Arden bought the land called Glebe Farm in Wilmcote in 1514 and built the house that had sat next to Palmer's Farm. (S11). This was the house where Mary Arden, the mother of Shakespeare was born, and which she inherited from her father, Robert.
He was owner of the sixty-acre farm called Asbies. (S11).
He married (2) Agnes Hill (S5,S6,S7,S9) in April 1548. (S11).
He died in December 1556 at Wilmcote, Ashton Cantlowe Parish, Warwickshire, England. He was buried in the parish church at Aston Cantlow. (S11). He named his daughter (Shakespeare's mother) Mary, only sixteen at the time, one of his executors.
Born on 5 February (1511-S1)(1512-S2), of Wilmcote, Aston Cantlowe, Warwickshire, England; daughter of John Alexander Webb.
She died before (1550)(1548-S11) in Stratford, Warwickshire, England.
CHILDREN of Robert Arden and Mary Webb:
- Mary Arden. Mary was born about 1537 at Wilmcote, Ashton Cantlowe Parish, Warwickshire, England. Mary Arden married John Shakespeare, son of Richard Shakespeare and Abigal Webb, about 1557 (on a day between 25 November 1556 and mid-December of the year following) in Aston Cantlowe Parish, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, England. Mary died on 9 September 1608 at Wilmcote, Warwickshire, England.
- Margaret ARDEN [F57857]. Margaret was born in 1538-1539 at Wilmcote, Aston Cantlowe, Warwickshire, England. Margaret married Alexander Webb, son of (Sir) Henry Alexander Webb and Grace Arden, about 1555 in Stratford, Warwickshire, England. Margaret died (in 1608-S2)(on 9 September 1608-S1) at Wilmote, Aston Cantlowe Parish, Warwickshire, England.
- Agnes Arden. Born (about 1526-S1)(in 1536-S2), of Wilmcote, Aston Cantlowe, Warwick, England.
- Katherine Arden. Born (about 1530)(in 1545-S2), of Wilmcote, Aston Cantlowe, Warwick, England.
- Joan Arden. Born (about 1533-S1)(in 1542-S2), of Wilmcote, Aston Cantlowe, Warwick, Enland.
- Joyce Arden. Born about 1534, of Wilmcote, Aston Cantlowe, Warwick, Enland. She died in 1557.
- Alice Arden. Born (about 1536)(1543-S2), of Wilmcote, Aston Cantlowe, Warwick, Enland. She died in 1580.
- Thomas Arden. Born in 1540, of Warwickshire, England.
Daughter of (Sir) Henry Alexander WEBB and Grace ARDEN. (S9).
She married (1) Robert Arden in April 1548. She married (2) John Hill.(S8). Note that S11 indicates that she was married to John Hill first, and Robert Arden second; which coordinates with other sources that say that Robert Arden was the step-father to her children.
- [S1]. Robert Arden. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~havens5/p3928.htm.
- [S2]. Family History and Birding with Tim Janzen. http://www.timjanzen.com/family/groups/gp830.html.
- [S3]. Timperley of Hintlesham research page. http://homepages.strath.ac.uk/~cjis19/recent.htm.
- [S4]. Robert Arden. WikiTree. http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Arden-2.
- [S5]. The Ancestors of William Shakespeare. http://www.william-shakespeare.info/william-shakespeare-biography-ancestors.htm.
- [S6]. William Shakespeare. The 1911 Classic Encyclopedia. http://www.1911encyclopedia.org/William_Shakespeare.
- [S7]. Shakespeare's Ancestry. http://www.shakespeare-online.com/biography/shakespeareancestry.html.
- [S8]. Shakespeare Family Tree. http://www.btinternet.com/~david.fullwood/publish/page15.html. and http://www.btinternet.com/~david.fullwood/publish/page14.html.
- [S9]. Ancestors of Gladys E. Parker. Family Tree Maker Online. http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/l/a/b/Jean-Labrack/GENE4-0056.html.
- [S10]. Descendants of Sir Henry WEBB. http://jimwebb.rootsweb.ancestry.com/webb/pafg07.htm.
- [S11]. Mary Arden. http://www.factbites.com/topics/Mary-Arden. QUOTES as sources: a) www.englishhistory.info /Shakespeare/shakespeares-mother.html